First day of school

9 Jan

Yesterday was the first day of term 3, and Shou and Marina’s first day back at hard core Japanese school in over 6 months.

The walking bus time and changed from 7:30 to 7:15 because it would seem that after we left for NZ the group kept being late for school – probably because I wasn’t walking with them anymore and telling them to stop being silly buggers, turning around, falling over, picking up stones yaddah yaddah. They have to be at school by 8:15 so they now have an entire hour to walk 2km.

I would use the words retarded and snail but really it isn’t even High Tiger Boy’s fault anymore. It is the 6th grader and leader of the group. He has PCD, or Pace Control Disorder, which means he either walks stupidly with one foot directly in front of the other, or runs. The group goes from a jog to a domino effect with everyone eating the randoseru of the person in front.

Anyhoo, getting my 3 kids ready, as well as self, and out the front door and into the car by 7:10 was a challenge. I kept having visions of our time in NZ when quite often I’d still be in peaceful slumber at that time – with the kids having gone into the lounge (all carpet, no ninja floorboards), to watch TV. Yesterday Ryu and I split up from the group and went a different and slightly longer way and still bet them by 10 minutes. Today we stayed with them and we all arrived at 7:45.

After dropping Ryu off at the kinder next door yesterday I popped my head in to the primary school to say ‘Hi ya, we’re baaaaack’ – only I got trapped and ended up leaving with a one day PTA prefectural-wide meeting on January 25th, a Saturday English class on Feb the 14th and 15 lots of 20 minute reading to the 1st graders…. …. What the fuck just happened?

This is after being asked by the 6th grader -from-the-walking-group’s grandmother (raises him), to organize the kodomo-kai (children’s club for our local area – i.e.: the 7 kids that walk together) end of school year event. She is in charge this year and I do the books, which really just means I keep a tin with about $12 in it and a notebook in the filing cabinet. I said OK, because I couldn’t really turn her down.

All in all I came home with a lot of shit on considering all I had set out to do was walk the kids to school!

The kids had a great day however and both did their homework without fuss – making me wonder why they put me through what they did during the winter vacation. Neither of them finished that homework but it seems the teachers weren’t too strict on them. Marina wasn’t quite as excited after coming home from soccer last night – saying that High Tiger Boy was running round calling her ‘dassai’ (uncool, stink, nerdy, etc). He laughed about it this morning so I reprimanded him in front of his mum, who seems to not give a shit or be hard of hearing.

Right, I’m expecting a coffee visitor so best get the machine on.



2 Responses to “First day of school”

  1. Susan January 10, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

    That didn’t take long, did it? Like you were never gone. Sounds like everyone is glad to have you back!

    • gaijinwife January 10, 2015 at 11:22 pm #

      I need to remember not to spread myself too thin. Being a WAHM means I do have a more flexible schedule but shouldn’t mean the school just expects me to do everything. I know there are some other mums who don’t work everyday, or are at home every day, and time for them to spread some of the volunteer love I think 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: