Post Motorbike Writeoff

13 Dec

Turns out that hub’s motorbike will cost too much to fix and has to be written off – which fuckin sucks cause I paid for most of it for his birthday and insurance wont refund the whole amount because hub was about 20% (we don’t know for sure yet) to blame. Bloody damn it.

The bike stuff all of last week, coupled with a shit few weeks at work with some tax visit from 6 years ago coming back to haunt him – and me really – and he was a stressed ball of cuntiness on Sunday. In short the tax saga is about a man who had to pay x amount of tax but it took him 6 years to pay it and he didn’t realise he had to pay the interest for that 6 years.  He threatened hub – told him he was going to put a flyer out with all their names on it badmouthing them AND to be careful because he might come to our house – at which point I told hub (mid-story) that he had to report that shit to the police. He rang his police brother instead, who in turn told him to tell the local cop. Lord knows if he actually did it or not. We haven’t had a flyer or a visit so perhaps it was all just the guy being a rude mouthy wanker with nothing to back it up.

Roll around Sunday and we are all heading to the city to see aforementioned eldest precious son (policeman) so that Granny K can check in on them and tell her friends she’s caught up with them yaddah yaddah. I don’t think I’ve gone into it much here but the eldest son’s grandson (so I guess my grand nephew although I just think of the three kids as cousins to our three because they aren’t that different in age) is very sick and has, for a lot of his life, been in an anti-bacterial room at the hospital. He is sometimes allowed home and has even been here once, playing and running around in all our germiness.

He is currently doing another round of treatment and his mum was having a rare day off with her husband taking a turn at the hospital. If she gets sick she can’t go into the anti-bacterial room obviously, so she was super worried that we would bring germs from our clean-air rural rice paddie where the kids go to school with 26 other children into their urban home with her other two sons who go to a school of 400. I don’t know why I’m getting my back up about it really. I’m sure if my child’s health (and possibly life) was on the line I’d be super worried too.

We decided to drop Granny K off and take the kids to the movies.

So we did that. Great movie they said. I didn’t go because it was Japanese and I don’t feel the need to waste good money on seeing a Japanese anime.

We picked Granny K back up and went inside and said hello for about half an hour. During which time Shou coughed once and sneezed into his mask, while playing UNO with his two cousins who were wiping snot on their sleeves (ya know, six of one half a dozen of the other) (will also add here that we all had to gargle and spray our hands with disinfectant upon entering the house)

In the car on the way home we get a phone call saying that the mother (of the sick boy) is worried that we might have brought the bloody FLU into the house and could Shou please get tested asap the next morning because if there is any chance she has caught it she can’t swap places with her husband at the hospital.

So anyhoo, now hub is worried about work, his poor motorbike, his poor leg and whether or not our son will give them the FLU which may or may not kill their son. Tis a shithole.

So we decide to buy a thermometer on the way home because despite this being Japan and there being a household average of 3.7 thermometers per square meter I have a feeling I left our ‘good’ one in New Zealand last year. This is important, I can’t rely on the half assed ten dollar one. WE NEED THE GOOD ONE.

So we stop and I get out to rush in and get a few things.

I get back to the car approximately 8 minutes and 43 seconds later and hub is the only one in there. I see Granny K walking around a bit and just presume she was hot with her 8 layers of vests on. Until I open the car and see I have no children.

I enquire, calmly at first. I just think they’ve gone to the loo at the shop – or come in to find me and missed me (hard to do) or something.

And then Granny K informs me that Shou and Marina were playing up, hub had enough, and so he told Shou to get out. Marina and Ryu go after him, hub goes to sleep in the passenger seat and Granny K has no idea which way they went. It turns out that hub told him to walk home but they failed to inform me of this and of the level of hysteria that any of the children might be in.

Turns out I was the only one registering on the hysteria scale.

I tell Granny K off for being a pleb and not looking to see which way they walked. I dump the shopping down and tell hub to drive after me (I had been driving because he wanted to put his accident leg up).

I then walk in the dark in the direction I think my poor three children have been sent. All I can think about is where they are, what if they’ve gone down a side street or worse, been picked up in one full swoop by a van of pedophiles. . . or or….

I mean fuck.

I was also swearing as I walked. Fuckin cunt. If anything has happened to my children the universe will never forgive you.

Seriously, all rationing of calmness goes out the window. You forget that your children are no longer 2, 3, 4 and are actually quite brilliant little human beings.

Hub drives past and I see him about 200m up the road, stop and swing in, wait for a second and then come back to pick me up – kids in car. I get into the car fuming with relief (yes it’s possible). Hub is silent – cause he knows he has been a complete fuckin dickwad. Granny K tries to say that it was nobody’s fault. I say in my fuming with relief steadiness of calm voice “It is everyone’s fault. It is hub’s fault for making Shou get out, it is Shou’s fault for not doing as he was told, it was your fault for not seeing which direction they went in, and it was my fault for fuckin believing I could go into a shop for five bloody minutes without this kind of shit happening”

Not a word the whole way home. Only the semi-silent sound of Granny K weeping into her kerchief.

The only other time I have seen her shed a tear was when we knocked the old homestead down to build this house. I knew I shouldn’t have been cross with her but I was so angry that nobody knew what way they had gone. I went into her room and said sorry when we got home.

On the good side – Marina and Ryu ran after Shou and together they were walking home, wondering how long it would take and if I would be cross with them. At bedtime I told them I would never leave them to walk home 20 KILOMETERS in the dark. And that I was glad they had stayed together and stayed on the main road with the bright lights.

So that was Sunday.

On Monday I took Shou to get tested for the flu. Negative. No surprise there but a relief to my sister ‘n’ law and her daughter – who could then go and relieve her husband of his hospital duties.

Anyhoo, I finally finished about four translation deadlines yesterday, got an “Excellent and natural English translation” for QA result, the kids are fine, Granny K apologized for her cunty sometimes son and asked that I please don’t take the kids back to New Zealand and hub, well, he’s still sleeping in the alter room and doing lots of housework.






7 Responses to “Post Motorbike Writeoff”

  1. Nikki December 14, 2016 at 7:26 am #

    It was great the children stayed together
    Hold that thought and try to move forward

    • gaijinwife December 14, 2016 at 11:13 am #

      Yes, very glad they stayed together. Also very nice that the other two got out of the car of their own accord to make sure their brother was OK and then they stayed together on the main road. Nice to see some sibling comradery.

  2. jrs December 15, 2016 at 2:06 am #

    Can’t imagine how that must have felt! And how mad you must have been– given what happened to that boy in Hokkaido a few months back being such huge news, I’m kind of surprised that the two adults in the car didn’t stop them once the kids actually went through with getting out of the car and heading off. Though I do find myself still telling my obnoxious 3-year old that he can just go live outside if he doesn’t behave…sometimes it is tempting to let him follow through!

    • gaijinwife December 15, 2016 at 4:01 am #

      Granny K tried to say something to hub apparently but he was rude to her and told her to stay out of it. Shou had been poking his foot through the seat and into Marina’s back. Not hard but apparently he kept doing it. Dad gave him a warning and when he went to do it again Granny K pinched him – thinking she was warning him and that that would be better than hid dad getting angry. Shou got mad at Granny, Marina got mad at Shou and hub got mad at them all. Ryu was asleep – until this point. Bloody palava it was. I ‘don’t think’ hub would make them get out in the middle of the mountains, although that has been threatened! I am very suprised that hub let them get as far as he did. It was dark after all!

  3. Nikki January 31, 2017 at 10:57 pm #

    I hope you are ok

  4. Susan G Thompson February 4, 2017 at 12:36 am #

    Katy, where are you?

  5. Mr Sekimachihato February 10, 2017 at 9:35 am #

    My 1hr 15min commute is just not the same without a bit of humor from you…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: